Book of Mormon Missionaries

Book of Mormon Missionaries
Know and Love the Book of Mormon

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day Thirty-Seven

1 Nephi 7:13-22

13 And if it so be that we are faithful to him, we shall obtain theland of promise; and ye shall know at some future period that the word of the Lord shall be fulfilled concerning the destruction of Jerusalem; for all things which the Lord hath spoken concerning the destruction of Jerusalem must be fulfilled.
 14 For behold, the Spirit of the Lord ceaseth soon to strive with them; for behold, they have rejected the prophets, and Jeremiah have they cast into prison. And they have sought to take away the life of my father, insomuch that they have driven him out of the land.
The prophecies and lamentations of Jeremiah are important to Latter-day Saints. Jeremiah and the Jerusalem of his day are the backdrop to the beginning chapters in the Book of Mormon. Jeremiah was a contemporary of the prophet Lehi.2 [See 1 Nephi 5:137:14.] The Lord dramatically informed Jeremiah of his fore ordination: “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”3 [Jeremiah 1:5.]

 15 Now behold, I say unto you that if ye will return unto Jerusalem ye shall also perish with them. And now, if ye have choice, go up to the land, and remember the words which I speak unto you, that if ye go ye will also perish; for thus the Spirit of the Lord constraineth me that I should speak.
16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
 17 But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.
 18 And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.
 19 And it came to pass that they were angry with me again, and sought to lay hands upon me; but behold, one of the daughters of Ishmael, yea, and also her mother, and one of the sons of Ishmael, did plead with my brethren, insomuch that they did soften their hearts; and they did cease striving to take away my life.
 20 And it came to pass that they were sorrowful, because of their wickedness, insomuch that they did bow down before me, and did plead with me that I would forgive them of the thing that they had done against me.
 21 And it came to pass that I did frankly forgive them all that they had done, and I did exhort them that they would pray unto the Lord their God for forgiveness. And it came to pass that they did so. And after they had done praying unto the Lord we did again travel on our journey towards the tent of our father.
 22 And it came to pass that we did come down unto the tent of our father. And after I and my brethren and all the house of Ishmael had come down unto the tent of my father, they did givethanks unto the Lord their God; and they did offer sacrifice and burnt offerings unto him.

2 comments:

  1. Chapter 7 Study Guide Answers
    Journal 1- Ways young people can prepare for Marriage and raising children
    1 - Help in family chores, sharing the load is a lot of what marriage is all about.
    2 - Take opportunities to watch younger kids
    3 - Discover NOW how to be kind to your siblings, to apologize and to think of others first.

    Three Truths that Laman and Lemuel forgot
    1. They saw an angel
    2. They were delivered from the hands of Laban, by the Lord
    3. The Lord can do ALL things for us, if men exercise faith in him.

    Journal 2 - How remember those things could have helped Lamen and Lemuel
    Remembering that the Lord and sent them would have reminded them that Jerusalem was going to be destroyed and they didn't want to be there.
    Journal 3 - Blessings from the Lord
    1. A loving husband
    2. Beautiful children
    3. The Gospel of Jesus Christ
    4. Comfort and forgivness

    remembering that all these things are from God will help give me the mindset that as I follow Him he can do more with my life than I can. That I will be more pleased with who I am and what I am doing if I know that I have followed Him.

    Journal 4 - Why it is essential to remember what the Lord has done and follow His guidance
    If I choose to go my own path without counseling with the Lord, I may end up in the wrong place going the wrong direction. If I but remember that when I do as the Lord wants I will always be right, I will end up in the right place going the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Journal 5 - A couple of weeks back I took the opportunity to only do gratitude prayers - ask for NOTHING for one whole week. As I did this I found that my faith grew. I was able to use my own abilities and know that as I did so, God would bless me with strength to accomplish those things. It was a really hard week and I really wanted to do a blanket "dump" prayer. I wanted to say please bless my daughter that she will want to go to school. Instead, I prayed gratitude for the blessing of mother's intuition and the ability to help my daughter through her trials because I had been through them. My son got sick and wasn't feeling well. I wanted to call down blessings (i don't think anyone would have faulted me in that moment) from heaven to heal him. However, I gave thanks for modern medicine and the knowledge that I had as a mom of what to do and inspiration I knew would come if I needed to do something else. You might then say, it doesn't seem that then you need God at all. You were able to take care of things without "Praying for help". But that would be inaccurate, exercising my faith in God, in the Savior, in the priesthood and then doing what I could allowed me to see just how powerful Faith is. Not asking but acting in faith and giving gratitude changed my perspective.

    ReplyDelete