Book of Mormon Missionaries

Book of Mormon Missionaries
Know and Love the Book of Mormon

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Let the Journey Begin

In an effort to do as President Benson said and make the Book of Mormon "a lifetime pursuit." I am starting this blog as a place for the things I study and a resource for myself in the future and anyone who feels so inspired to follow along.

For starters this is an amazing testimony of the Book of Mormon and how essential it is and should be in our lives. Take a moment and read it. 

In trying to decide how I would go about studying I came across this article of ideas of how to study the Bookof Mormon. The first way I will be diving into my study of the Book of Mormon is to combine modern revelation with verses of each chapter of each book. I found an incredible resource that indexed anytime a verse had been referenced in a General Conference talk.  

TANGENT - I love conference, it holds a very special place in my heart. Because conference talks are easy to understand and are specifically for us NOW I gravitate towards them more than scriptures. So doing this way of studying first is exciting to me and a little selfish!

Okay, back to business. With this idea in mind, when I looked at the breadth of references I discovered for each verse, studying every single reference this way would become "a lifetime pursuit" all on it's own.

So with each verse I will be reading the portion surrounding the verse from the newest talk referenced. But hold on to your hats ladies and gents.... there are 6,604 verses in the Book of Mormon. If you studied ONE verse a day it would take you 18 years, TWO - 9 years, THREE - 6 years. So I will be studying FOUR verses a day. Yes, that will take me 4.5 years to complete the study (that is... if all the verses in the Book of Mormon have been referenced) but, we are talking about a LIFETIME study so 4.5 is just a drop in the bucket, right?

I will be challenging myself at the beginning of each school year to read again the Book of Mormon cover to cover in 30 days. I estimate that it will take about an hour a day to read the talks and verses of the Book of Mormon and do the 40 day challenge for the Doctrine and Covenants. . 

 ARE YOU READY? Join me if you'd like! I will be posting each day the Verses covered, the portion of the talks that correlate with the verse and my thoughts. 

1 comment: